Q: What do you feel is one of the biggest issues currently facing the profession?
What are they looking for?
- Ability to demonstrate a working knowledge of issues facing health care and PA’s
- Ability to discuss issues in an appropriate manner (ie not being rude or insulting about certain issues or beliefs)
- Understanding of what is going on in the world of the PA profession
What to avoid?
- Showing a strong opinion on the issues you discuss–you never know who you might offend its honestly just being safe. State the facts not your opinion.
- Relaying information that isn’t accurate (check your facts)
What to say
- Some of the current issues are as follows:
- Changing the name of the profession from “Physician Assistant” to just “PA” (which I don’t agree with but that is an topic for another day)
- Changes to the recertification process which you can find details about on nccpa.net
- Baics include the option to have a specialty certification for the field you are presntly employed and also instead of one test every 10 years PA’s would participate in a series of take home tests every so often (again these are basic concepts see NCCPA.net for specifics as I won’t go into them here)
- Legislation is always in the works to advance the profession. The PA profession has been on that since the creation continues to strive for further independence of it’s practictioners.